Merseyside Jewish Community Archive
The Merseyside Jewish Community Archive is a local government archive held by the Liverpool Record Office, and housed in the Liverpool Central Library. It holds documents covering Jewish life in Liverpool from the 18th century to the present day.
Liverpool Record Office holds the archives of the Merseyside Jewish Community. These records are of tremendous significance as the Liverpool community was the first organised Jewish community in the north of England, and until the mid-19th century it was the largest provincial Jewish community. The archival records reflect the vibrancy and activity of the community which has contributed to Merseyside life and national and international organisations. The archive shows the Jewish population becoming part of the wider Merseyside community and their contributions to the city.
One of the most extensive collections in the Merseyside Jewish Community Archives is the records of the Old Hebrew Congregation. The earliest archive of a Jewish organisation in Liverpool is found in this collection, namely the ‘Register Book of the Jews in Liverpool’ which records births, deaths and marriages from 1804 to 1816. The register also includes retrospective information on members of the community from as early as 1722. The records of the Old Hebrew Congregation capture the development of the community from the 18th century and give an insight into the life of many of the early members of the Liverpool Jewish Community.
The Archive is open to the public and can be accessed through the public search room in Liverpool Central Library. Opening times are available on their website.
Readers will need to provide photographic identification and request access to the collection at least two days in advance. Requests for access and information can be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Archive has no digital material in their collection, but items can be digitised on request. The archive catalogue is available online.
Liverpool Central Library
William Brown Street,