This silver menorah, from The Rothschild Archive, London, is believed owned by Nathan Mayer Rothschild, c.1800-1805. It was discovered in the vaults at old New Court in London, location of the global headquarters of the Rothschild investment bank since 1809.
The maker’s mark is that of Erhard(t) Christian Specht of Frankfurt. The piece is absolutely typical of German neo-classicism of the period, and it is possible that Nathan Rothschild brought this piece with him from the family home in Frankfurt, when he came to England at the turn of the nineteenth century.
Nathan Mayer Rothschild (16 September 1777 – 28 July 1836) was a German Jewish banker, businessman and financier. Born in Frankfurt am Main in Germany, he was the third of the five sons of Gutle (Schnapper) and Mayer Amschel Rothschild, and was of the second generation of the Rothschild banking dynasty. In 1798, at the age of 21, he settled in Manchester, England and established a business in textile trading and finance, later moving to London, England, beginning to deal on the London Stock Exchange from 1804. From 1809 Rothschild began to deal in gold bullion, and developed this as a cornerstone of his business, which was to become N. M. Rothschild & Sons. A cornerstone of the Rothschild’s successes were their extensive networks of carrier pigeons, bringing international news before it reached their competitors.
Gifted to the Trustees of The Rothschild Archive London by N M Rothschild & Sons Limited.
Hidden Treasures: Celebrating the documents, photos and artefacts in British archives that tell the story of Jews in Britain